BTZS.org >> Forums home page

General Discussions
 General Discussions

Announcements | General Discussions | Plotter | ExpoDev Palm | Film & Paper Testing | Practical BTZS | ExpoDev for iOS

Messages 11 to 20 of 316 (Total: 316) First | Prev | Next | Last
Subject 
Author 
Date 
Film/Developer recommendation for BTZS 
Michael S  18:13 21 May 13 
Re: Film/Developer recommendation for BTZS 
Luigi Pasto  11:25 28 May 13 
David Jade  16:35 28 May 13 
Miles Nelson  13:27 8 Jun 13 
BTZS for Dummies 
Michal  13:18 26 Mar 12 
Re: BTZS for Dummies 
David Jade  15:18 26 Mar 12 
Welcome Michal,

1. yes - typically in BTZS you would develop each negative for a separate time. This is because BTZS works by keeping each negative's density matched to the paper you will print on by controlling the development time. In practice however, you will probably find that many of your negative are grouped into sets with fairly similar times. For me, if I were using a Jobo (I use the tubes) I would tend to group negatives with similar times together if they were close enough. 5-10 seconds here and there are unlikely to make too big of a different to justify not using your Jobo.

2. No you don't have to buy anything actually to use BTZS but you will find that using ExpoDev will make things a lot easier that working with printed charts from film tests. You will need your own personal film test data however. You can do that yourself (using WinPlotter) or you can work with someone like the ViewCameraStore.com who can help you by doing most of the work for you (including analysis using WinPlotter). I would suggest starting with the View Camera Store's film testing service but that may not be an option for you in Poland. Testing is something you only do when you change methods or materials.

3. Back when Phil Davis produced test data for a bunch of film & developer combinations FP4+ was tested however it was never tested with Rodinal so you would have to do that test if you wanted to use BTZS techniques with that film/developer combintion.

4. The ViewCameraStore.com offer exactly the service you would need to calibrate your workflow for BTZS. They will test both film and paper for you. Basically, they send you pre-exposed film to develop. You send the developed negative back to them and they give you your test results as analyzed by Plotter. They will also give you the film profiles that you would load into ExpoDev for the iPhone. This is all you need to get started. Having you develop the negatives in your own workflow is an important part of BTZS. This is because different people will get different data even when using the same combinations. This is due to variations in technique, water, etc...

If you contact the View Camera Store they can also give you more guidance on using your Jobo as well with BTZS as I know they have users who go that route. However if you really get into BTZS you may want to consider using BTZS style tubes as they allow each negative to get developed independently for different times (or even different developers).

I hope this answers you questions. Good luck!

David

Re: BTZS for Dummies 
Michal  1:34 28 Mar 12 
Tube Development and Edge Density 
Dietrich Floeter  7:52 23 May 11 
Re: Tube Development and Edge Density 
Fred Newman  12:06 23 May 11 
Re: Tube Development and Edge Density 
Dietrich Floeter  7:50 24 May 11 

BTZS.org >> Forums home page

Note: The BTZS.org forums are now in read-only mode Last Updated: 22 Aug 2002